Saturday, October 27, 2018

Module 9 hand drawing project

1.    What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?
Using my hands as subject matter for the drawings was very difficult. Your hand gets tired as you hold it in the correct position. You can’t use your other hand as help, like holding the paper or for instance drawing your dominant hand you cannot use your dominant hand to help draw it! Once you move your hand out of place, it is hard to then continue drawing it accurately. Using the opposite hand was just a big mess! So hard to do and to hold your hand up at the same time was extremely difficult. 
2.    What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why?
I chose pencil because that is what I am used to. I have a million pencils at home I don’t usually use charcoal, I wouldn’t even know what to buy for that. Pencil is something you use every day through life. It is just a natural tool I figured it would be easier.
3.    How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?
Horrible! I could not get it right. Holding my hand up was very annoying and creating lines and trying to get it accurate and proportioned was just impossible, you have no guidance with the opposite hand. It is a very awkward feel to use your bad hand. 
4.    Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?
I think my first drawing was decent. I used my dominant hand. It helps to look at the object you are drawing right in front of you. This way you get all the detail, textures, light, shapes. All those details are very hard and not attainable with the opposite hand. 
5.    Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?

No way. The skill is in your dominant hand. There is no way to get the proportion or details ride, or the shading with the opposite hand. It is all about the way you hold the pencil too. It just seems silly to use the opposite hand! I prefer my dominant hand, much easier, much more strength in my fingers and skill. I can create such a better picture through my dominant hand. I don’t see a huge reason to use the weaker hand. 
Top left: done by dominant hand
Bottom right: done by non dominant hand

No comments:

Post a Comment